There are no less than 3 million options for stationary bikes available on the planet to buy (I might be off by a couple…high or low). Most of them are pieces of crap so I don’t have time for that. I’m going to ignore most of them and only talk about 3 bikes my crazy workout friends talk about and swear by for shedding those pounds all us lazy people need to drop. In transparency some of these friends are not normal, and in most cases don’t represent what normal human beings would do but damn they can complain about stuff and use the shit out of it. Therefore, I feel like they at least measure up to motorized test dummies that can speak for themselves so we have some good direction to go by.
The four products I will be discussing:
- Wahoo : Wahoo Kickr Bike (the bike part is important)
- Peloton: Peloton Bike (thank you for keeping it simple for me)
- Nordictrack: Nordictrack Commercial S22i Studio Cycle
- Honorable Mention: Bowflex C6 Bike… I’m not going to talk about them but here is the link if your bored. https://www.bowflex.com/bikes/
Before I get into this – One quick thing: I did not get paid and I will not get paid after any one from any of these companies reads this.
I’m going to write about these in Rank Order by my Freak Friends. But, the reality is any of these would be a good choice.
I’ll call the top winner – the choice of the SHAVE LEGGED CROWD (if you don’t know what that means than this isn’t the bike for you). These folks will either buy a trainer or this. Anything else and they would lose their friends or their sole.
Wahoo Kickr Bike: Price $3499.99 : https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/smart-bike/kickr-bike/buy
- Closest to replicating riding a real bike. The KICKR BIKE flywheel and enhanced motor is an innovative technology that emulates the power and inertia experienced during outdoor riding. It provides the most realistic ride feel especially when using virtual riding/training platforms like Zwift, The Sufferfest, and TrainerRoad.
- Proven power accuracy that provides our most accurate power measurement of +/- 1% and generates up to 2200W of resistance.
- Adjust the fit of the KICKR BIKE with easy access quick-release levers across 5 points – stack, reach, setback, saddle height, and frame height.
- Real-time grade changes will match ascents of up to 20% and descents of -15% while allowing you to maintain speed and truly replicate the sensation of riding outdoors.
- No TV or Fan with the bike (if this doesn’t make sense to you I’m actually judging you right now.)
- Expensive for the average Joe or Jane.
- You have to wear a full cycling kit while you ride. We take this seriously.
Second Choice: also called first loser…I’ll call this one I SPIN YOU SPIN WE ALL SPIN
PELOTON: Price for the basic $2,245: https://www.onepeloton.com/shop/bike/bike-package
- Best commercials (oops)…at least Ryan Reynolds was able to use it to build his GIN empire.
- Like being at a spin class with out the weird smells or the awkward “why haven’t you been to the class in a while conversation”
- Solid bike (most say the bike is fine when you ask…)
- Best “trainer led” experience with lots of on demand and live options
- Well – classes are separate, but they do have a free 30 day trial and lets all be honest that is likely how long most of you are going to use it.
- Not for serious bikers and serious bikers will not be happy with how adjustable the bike fit is…
Third Choice: at least they’re still on the podium
Nordicktrack Commercial S22i Studio Cycle: Price $1,999: https://www.nordictrack.com/exercise-bikes/s22i-studio-bike
- Solid bike with 22in TV
- 20% incline and 10% decline and live resistance control – TAKE THAT PELOTON.
- Better “warranty” between Nordictrack and Peloton (sometimes that could be a con as well…usually the guy who is winning has the worse warranty)
- monthly subscription for classes (I believe you get the first year free) and a set up fee ($249)
- still limited adjustable for serious bikers
- I did have one friend who swears by this bike and other that curses it so I tied their ankles together until the worked it out. They were not able to work it out, but it was fun to watch.
I also will provide this comparison video between Peloton and Nordictrack because these two are basically the ones competing head to head for the home Spin Class Crowd. I think Nordictrack has the chance to move up to 2nd spot in next years review, but only time will tell.